So when Brandan and I decided to get married we had a few things to get in order first. At the time there was no ring, no official proposal. There was a promise - and that was enough.

This is the first picture of Brandan and I after we started dating. If you want to know more about each of us, check out our blog!
In May Brandan and I started dating, and I knew the first night that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. He and I had been friends for many years, and he had seen me through so many hard times, that I honestly could not imagine my life with out him. I could go on and on about how perfect he is, and how he is the perfect compliment to crazy - me! A few weeks after we started dating the topic of marriage came up, and by the end of the conversation we had decided to get married.
Shortly after I told my parents we were going to get married, my mother offered a family heirloom diamond for us to use in my engagement ring. I'm a rather sappy person, so this was extremely exciting to me. My mom put the ring in a "tooth fairy" box that belong to my sister, and I gave the ring to Brandan.
(Apparently my picture went missing, I hate having
dead links. Maybe I will find the picture again....)
I was still learning how to use my camera, and I wish I had done a better job of photographing
this before we had the diamond reset. At least I have these pictures!
At the end of the summer I went back to school with a promise. The cat was out of the bag and every one knew our plans, but I was still ringless. I did not think this was a big deal, but apparently it is. Because Brandan had not officially proposed, I was subject to many awkward "So let's see that ring!?" moments, and then an explanation about the lack of gold on my finger. There wasn't much I could do about it though, with Brandan going to school 4 hours away we didn't get to see each other very often, but we probably spent more time talking than people who live in the same city.
Brandan and my parents made the eight hour trip with me and all of my belongings back to school. It was a long drive, but we made it one day. Brandan came to help me move in, and I was so greatful. It was the middle of August, and it was the last time we would get to see each other for a while. We spent the night in my new apartment, and the next morning I waived goodbye to Brandan, Mom and Dad. I cried. No lies.
A few weeks later I went to visit him. We had been talking about getting the diamond set, and I was worried he was going to spend too much money on it. I really just wanted something simple. So, instead of letting him flounder around and try and guess what I want, Brandan and I went to the local jewler at his school, and I picked out a simple gold setting. They took the diamond out of the original setting, and said it would be a week or two, that they would call Brandan when it was ready.
When the time rolled around Brandan called me to tell me he had picked up the ring. At this point I preceded to beg for a picture. He was relentless, and he said I would have to wait for it. I knew we would be seeing each other in a few weeks, so I knew that I was going to get it eventually, but I'm not very good at waiting!
Before I went back to school my Dad had bought two tickets to one of my University football games. I think he was planning on dragging my mom along, but the plans changed, and he brought Brandan instead - picking him up along the way. The evening of September 12th they rolled into town. My dad went off to meet up with some old college friends (He went to the same school I go to now) and Brandan and I decided to go for a walk. The weather was hot and balmy, that's September in Tennessee for you! I live really close to World's Fair Park, and so we walked over there. We wet up into the Sun Sphere because Brandan had never been up there, and then we walked around the park, eventually settling on a concrete bench on the pond, across from the sunsphere. I sat on the bench, and Brandan stood in front of me, holding my hands. He said some very sweet things, and then pulled the gold box out of his pocket and asked me to spend the rest of eternity with him. I don't remember if I actually answer him when he asked me to marry him. I was too busy kissing and hugging and trying not to cry - but I'm sure I got my point across. Walking back to my apartment I had the biggest smile on my face, and it felt amazing.

There you have it! These were the first pictures I took of my ring. My dad came back from his dinner, and I showed him. Of course - none of this was a surprise, but actually having something that makes it real feels good.
The next day Brandan and I met up with my Dad to go to the football game. I had a seat in the student section, but I moved into the upper level seating so I could sit with them!
My new ring with Neyland Stadium in the background!
Brandan and I infront of the opening "Power T"
The weekend felt so short. My dad left Saturday, and Brandan stayed the rest of the weekend - I drove him home the following Monday. Now armed with the commercialized symbol of Love I was off to show all of the people who had previous rolled their eyes when I didn't have "the ring."
Honestly, it is wonderful to have a physical reminder of the promises we've made to each other, but I think that the real testament to our relationship is the way my stomach flutters when I hear his voice, or when I feel like crying tears of joy everytime we are reuinited. He has always been there for me, and he has seen through so many hard times, that I know he's here to stay - he's mine for keeps. No amount of jewlery is going to prove that. That being said... I'll still take it if you're giving it to me!



1 comment:
I just can't believe my little Jessi is getting married...It's just really odd. I still think of you as 9. Boy am I old!
Post a Comment